Recipe for the week - Easy Veg Stew

9:33:00 pm

This must be one of the easiest recipes I know. When I say stew, it might be a little different from what you probably think of as a stew. This one is what you’d find if you stepped into any random Malayali family’s home and asked for some stew. (Not to mention how utterly creeped out said family would be, thinking you were some kind of curry crazed psycho :-)). Anyway, this is so easy to make, especially if you have some of the ingredients packaged before hand. P.S. check out the easy peasy tips :-).


What you’ll need (2-3 servings):

  1. ½ onion sliced
  2. 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
  3. ½ tbsp crushed peppercorns
  4. 1 sliced green chilli (optional)
  5. 2 cups of assorted chopped veggies
  6. chopped coriander leaves for garnish
  7. salt and vegetable oil as required
What you’re going to do:

1. Heat a pot and pour some oil. When the oil is sufficiently heated, put in the onions, ginger garlic paste, green chilli (if using), peppercorns and salt. Yes, that’s right, just dump it all in at once.

Easy Peasy tip: Use ready made ginger garlic paste


2. Stir well and fry till the onions are beginning to brown. Then add the veggies and mix well.

Easy Peasy tip: Use frozen veggies. I used a mix of fresh and frozen.


3. Stir fry the veggies for 2 minutes, then pour in about ¾ cup of water and cover and cook till veggies are done.

Easy Peasy tip: Use a pressure cooker for max 2 whistles.

4. Just before serving, add some coconut milk, warm slightly and garnish with chopped coriander.

Easy Peasy tip: Use ready to use coconut milk.


There, now don’t you think making this is a breeze? Especially with all my easy peasy tips? :-) This goes perfectly well with plain untoasted bread for a simple, light but satisfying meal. However, the ideal combination would be some Malayali style appams, soft and spongy to soak up the fragrant coconut milk gravy. You can balance out the mildness in this dish with a spicy chicken/seafood side dish for some protein.

Do try this out at home; won’t take long at all. I’ll leave you with a pic of my ‘easy stew meal’ with flat-pan appams and Kerala-style fried prawns:


I like the gravy to seep into my appams; messy, but oh so yum!!!!

 Countdown to 2011 with Finding Joy in My Kitchen

You Might Also Like

19 comments

  1. This looks very tasty. I am not a fan of peas and carrots - could I keep the cauliflower and add broccoli and zucchini in instead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Adrienne Sure!! Any combination of vegetables are great! Even potatoes and french beans can be added :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Appam and veg kuruma is my favorite breakfast combo...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @opal Hmm, I prefer it for dinner, with something spicy on the side :-). Appam and Egg curry is definitely my fav breakfast combo!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really healthy a fabulous!
    xo
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. luks like an easy recipe for sure!!!


    http://sushmita-smile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your version of stew, simple yet delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good. Do you a recipe for appam?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @shooting star It sure is, especially if you have most of the ready to use ingredients :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Priyanka For the ones in the picture above, I used an instant mix. But I'll try to post an 'authentic' one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have been quite some time since your previous posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi
    I went through your blog. Is there a substitute for coconut milk?
    Can use olive oil instead of vegetable oil right. It is more healthier.

    Love
    http://www.meghasarin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Megha Sarin Olive oil could substitute vegetable oil quite well, but as to one for coconut milk, well that's tough. The coconut milk is quite a star of this dish and I can't think of anything to replace it. At best, a thinner milk would do, I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am all about easy-peasy so I love this! Your blog is great.

    Happy New Year! I hope you have a fantastic one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Ameena Thanks you, Ameena! Happy New Year to you too!!

    ReplyDelete