Recipe for the Week – Basic Pancakes2:16:00 pm
A simple pancake is one breakfast item that equally pleases all the three of us. The Mr. – because it’s not heavy or greasy, Cub – because he can customize it to taste and me – it’s so easy to make!!! All the ingredients are already present in your kitchen, so what are you waiting for?
What you’ll need: (serves 2 very hungry adults OR 2 adults and a child)
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ½” pc cinnamon (optional)
- 1 egg
- 160 ml milk
What you’re going to do:
- Grind the sugar and cinnamon (if using) to a fine powder.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and sugar-cinnamon mixture together.
- Make a hole in the centre and break the egg into it.
- Whisk into a batter, adding milk a little at a time. It shouldn’t be too runny.
- Heat a non stick pan, spray a little oil on it, and pour two tablespoonfuls of batter on it. Note: Keep the flame on low, these pancakes burn very easily.
- When you see bubbles appearing on the surface, time to flip it over. See that lovely golden brown??
- Cook the other side for a while and then put it on a plate.
You can go classic by stacking together some pancakes with a dollop of butter on top and then drizzling some honey or maple syrup along the sides. The butter sizzling and melting on the hot pancake is a pleasure to behold :-).
Or, you can go for some Nutella:
Or, my personal fav, peanut butter!!!
Or, you can use a cookie cutter and cut it into cute little shapes:
Needless to say, Cub devoured the shapes without any resistance at all!!! Note: If you are planning to use the cookie cutter, just flatten the batter slightly as soon as you put it on the pan, it makes the cutting part easier. You can also add mashed banana to the batter, makes it really yummy and filling. Or eat it with some cream or flavored yogurt and fresh fruit. As they say, the options are really endless!!