Recipe for the Week – Whole wheat Savory Crepes with Egg Filling11:15:00 am
I love seeing pictures of crepes – stacked, folded, rolled, they look so pretty!! And of course, there are sweet versions and savory versions, with an endless variety of fillingsJ. But most of them require plain flour as well as lots of butter, which doesn’t make them an ideal choice for your ticker. So, I decided to health it up a bit and go the whole wheat route, hence presenting to you whole wheat savory crepes!!
What you’ll need: (3-4 servings)
¾ cup whole wheat flour
A little less than ½ tsp salt
1 cup toned milk
1 large egg or 2 small ones
2 tbsp olive oil
What you’re going to do:
1. Put the flour and salt in a bowl and whisk together till mixed.
2. Break in the eggs, add the oil and give it a mix.
3. Add in the milk slowly and whisk together to form a smooth batter. Let it rest for 30 minutes.
4. Heat a non stick pan, and on medium heat, pour in a ¼ cup measure of batter and swirl the pan around.
5. Let the crepe cook till the edges are browned and appear crispy.
6. Place your filling in the centre, fold up in halves or quarters and serve.
Now, you can use pretty much any filling of your choice, but my favorite filling for breakfast has got to be this scrambled egg one J.
For the Egg Filling:
What you’ll need:
5 eggs, beaten with salt and pepper
½ onion finely chopped
1 small tomato finely chopped
1 green chilly finely chopped (optional – skip if you have kids)
1 small zucchini (substitute with bell peppers, mushrooms or any other vegetable)
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp Vegetable oil
What you’re going to do:
1. Heat a pan, add some oil and toss in all the vegetables on low heat.
2. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir fry till soft.
3. Turn on the heat and add in the beaten eggs. Keep stirring the mixture with a wooden spoon, scraping the bottom of the pan as you go, breaking up the parts of cooked egg.
4. Stir in the coriander leaves. When the eggs appear to be completely cooked, turn off the heat.
Perfect breakfast recipe!! I can assure you that this is very filling and 2 crepes will make you feel stuffed and stay that way till lunch J. And if you have picky little eaters, just top with some cheese!!
Do you have any fool proof crepe recipes?? Do let me know!!
This recipe is a participant in the following events:
Bon Vivant #11 – Healthy Appetite at Sumee’s Culinary Bites
Let’s Cook Healthy Breakfast at simply.food