,

X is for ‘Xerophyte’

4:08:00 pm


Today’s letter for the AtoZ Blogging Challenge is ‘X’ for my theme ‘A to Z of Effectiveness’. You can read more about my theme here. I’m also participating in the NaBloPoMo for April.

Source
‘X’ is not an easy letter to base a post on!! So for today, I’ve decided on ‘Xerophyte’, which is a plant that changes its physical structure to be able to live in very dry conditions like deserts. Such plants adapt to the heat by reducing moisture loss through minimized leaf surface and storing extra water in their thick stems or trunks. An example is the cactus, which has pines instead of leaves.

Stephen Covey does not mention a xerophyte explicitly in his book, ‘The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People’, but he does talk about what it does – adapt. It’s commonly known that we tend to feel happier on a bright, sunny day and glum on cloudy or rainy days. This feeling may bring down our mood for the day and affect our productivity. Effective people however, adapt to cloudy days with a different mindset; rather, they ‘bring their own weather’, as Stephen Covey says. This ensures that they work with values, rather than giving in to moods or feelings.

Another way of adapting yourself is with respect to time. We learnt here that people who work in Quadrant II are the most effective, with their time and tasks properly managed. Yet, we can all agree that there are times when things just don’t go according to plan, and the most efficient time tables can be turned upside down. An effective person would adapt in this situation, recognizing his priorities and acting accordingly, rather than drowning in a sea of work! Looks like I have a good way to go to keep my head above water?


What about you, are you a xerophyte? Or do you let the situation get the better of you?

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I really liked your post about the xerophyte. I'd never heard of that kind of plant before but I like how that book mentions it and relates it to humans and our ability to adapt and live with our values in mind, or give into emotions. I wish I was more of a xerophyte as I tend to give into the emotions. It depends. Some days are better than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! A bad mood can send my day running helter skelter and by the end of the day, I wish I had more sense than to give in to my emotions!! Hang in there, I'm sure there's more of us!

      Delete
  2. This is fabulous, FAB :-) Loved reading about Xerophyte. I think I am one. Going to read your other posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking at what some other A to Z'rs did for X and I enjoyed your post - I had never heard of the term ‘Xerophyte’ (and just think, I blogged today about xeriscaping - we must be on the same wavelength.) Your comment about sunshine hit home - where I live, we have many cloudy days and it affects my mood tremendously. I need to "bring my own weather"! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't head of xeriscaping till I read your post either!! The AtoZ challenge does teach us so many new words :)

      Delete
  4. Very nice post. I am hearing the term xerophyte the first time. It makes sense to adapt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does!! Adapting is the only way to survive, in dry conditions or otherwise!

      Delete

Blog Archive