,

M is for ‘Management’

12:06:00 pm


Today’s letter for the AtoZ Blogging Challenge is ‘M’ for my theme ‘A to Z of Effectiveness’. You can read more about my theme here. I’m also participating in the NaBloPoMo for April.

Source
When we hear of words like leadership and management, we often have the image of an authoritative figure, confidently guiding a team of workers. We consider these ‘business book’ terms and nothing to do with personal development.

But Stephen Covey puts a different light on these words in his book, ‘The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People’, by stressing on personal leadership and management. Going by the ladder analogy we read about here, self leadership decides where to lean your ladder against, and management is what gets you to the top. Corinne aEveryday Gyaan has some inspiring posts on Self Leadership.

Personal management is very closely tied to discipline. Mr. Covey says that when you keep commitments made to yourself, you are honoring yourself. So every time I skip my exercise routine or leave the dishes in the sink or watch mindless TV instead of reading, I am being devalued. It’s like I’m saying to myself, “Why should I bother keeping promises to you? You’re not that important anyway!”

Wow. I have to admit this was a revelation to me; I had never thought of slacking off as devaluing myself! But it makes sense; if I think of myself as important enough to deserve success, I will leave no stone unturned to get there! I have got to print that out and pin it up as a reminder!


How good are you at personal management? Do you think of it as honoring yourself?

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I had never heard of this. I honor myself as far as making time for exercise walks. However, I wage a constant struggle with stress eating. The last two days, I lost. Appreciated your several visits to my blog - thank you! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating right and exercising are my biggest failures too, if I may call them so!!

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, personal management is very closely tied to discipline. All successful men and women are highly disciplined in all that they do. I lack discipline for exercising too. I need to get my act together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True!! Even the book mentions that the common denominator of hardworking people was in discipline. Looks like exercising is a common problem for most of us!

      Delete
  3. I will be the first to admit that self-discipline is not my strong suit. :P On the other hand, I did work hard for many years and now I am sort of semi-retired, so why shouldn't I enjoy that? No, I don't consider "slacking off" as devaluing myself, but I do understand the concept, to a degree, especially when it comes to exercise. Must do better with that!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive