,

H is for ‘Habit’

6:10:00 pm



Today’s letter for the AtoZ Blogging Challenge is ‘H’ for my theme ‘A to Z of Effectiveness’. You can read more about my theme here. I’m also participating in the NaBloPoMo for April.

Source
With a theme based on a book titled, ‘The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People’, it would be sacrilege not to have a post based on habits!! And to rephrase the quote shown above, ‘Effective people are simply those with effective habits’. Ta da!!

As I mentioned at the start of this challenge, I’m not a big fan of self help books. The only ones that have had some impact on me are ‘Eat That Frog’ by Brian Tracy and ‘Getting Things Done’ by David Allen. Both books stress on implementing the teachings in our daily habits. A consistent effort, however small, will definitely yield results in the long run.

Stephen Covey defines a habit as an intersection of knowledge, skill and desire, something that is better understood via this image:

Source
Essentially, if you want to introduce a new habit in your life and you’d like it to last, you need to have valid answers to the following questions:

What habit do I want to introduce in my life?

Why do I need this habit?

How can I go about starting this new habit?

Do I really want to do this?

I think this is a great idea, especially for those times that we feel we are faltering. This sort of takes us back to the drawing board, and reminds us of our true purpose or goals. And as always, the new habit has to be in sync with our character; otherwise you cannot expect to succeed!


Is there any habit that you’d like to include in your life? Will you ask yourself these questions first?

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I too agree Habits are the need of the our. I really liked your post, will be back for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Inderpreet! I'm not very good with habits, but this book has put them in a new light.

      Delete
  2. Right now I have no habits I want to establish. Instead, I have some habits I want to get rid of - especially my habit of dealing with stress by eating. Prevention of mindless eating has become a big challenge for me. Alana visiting from A to Z - ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah mindless eating, my problem too!! I've read that rather than getting rid of bad habits, it's better if we try to replace it with a good one. Apparently, it's worked for many people!

      Delete
  3. Ah Fabida I've also heard that if you do something consistently for 21days it becomes a habit. Alas on the 22nd day I go back to my errant ways. One habit I'd like to inculcate is regularity. Sadly life always overtakes my best intentions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that too; I've also read 31 days in some places! For me personally, I need daily motivation to get going :)

      Delete
  4. Great post! I have some bad habits I'd like to change, but need better motivation, I suspect. One habit I need to adopt is a regular exercise regimen. Too much time sitting on my fat ass at the computer is making it spread! Glad I'm not the only one who isn't overly enthusiastic about self-help books. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here!!! They say exercise should become a habit as non-negotiable as brushing your teeth! I hope to reach that stage soon!

      Delete

Blog Archive