Wardrobe Orphans - Help Them!

6:19:00 pm

Hi again!! Thank you guys so much for your comments!! It is so encouraging to get feedback from veteran bloggers whom you admire!

This weekend is being spent at the in-laws place. It is getting increasingly difficult limiting portion sizes here, partly because everything is so delish and also because Ma-in-law does not take no for an answer to her offers of second helpings. And third. And fourth. Yikes!

Anyway, when I was getting dressed for today, I thought about the Patiala pants I was wearing. They were bought as a mate for a kurta who had been a wardrobe orphan for a long time.

Consider this scenario. You have just bought this great new tunic, at half price. It’s a great color, wonderful fit, and is just sooo….you. Now, at home, you wonder what you’ll pair it with. You instinctively know that it’ll look great with a pair of purple tights. But there’s a small problem: you don’t own a pair of purple tights. And for some reason you can’t go shopping in the near future (shudder!). Maybe you are too lazy, you’ve exhausted your shopping budget for the month, maybe the sales are getting over tomorrow, whatever, but now you’ve decided to make do with whatever you’ve got in your wardrobe.

So you wear it with your good ol’ jeans and just ‘adjust’ away, even though deep inside your stylish gut, you know that this just isn’t right. But you either do that or let it sit there. Soon you become reluctant to wear it and it is now no longer that wonderful dream you thought it would be. It’s just a miserable, poor little wardrobe orphan (henceforth referred to as w.o.).

Then one day, during one of your ‘cleaning/purging’ sessions, you get sick of this injustice, and decide: what the heck, I’m going to get those tights. And you do. And you wear them both together, and then, hold your breath…..wait, that tunic looks kindof old…the tights are ….OMG…..the tights are too new for it!!! Nnnnnnnnoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, friends, this has happened to me quite a few times. I don’t find a mate for an orphan and just ‘adjust’ with something else, albeit unsatisfactorily, and when I finally do get the right mate, its too late – either the garment is old, out of style, doesn’t fit right anymore or is just not as interesting as it was in its prime.

So the lesson here holds true for just about everything in life: Do it before it is too late!!!! If you are sure you know exactly what’ll complete your w.o.,don’t hesitate too much, unless it’s an outrageous piece you are sure will never be worn again. But things like tights, skirts, pants, salwars, stoles, shoes….(ok, someone stop me here) usually turn out useful and at some point of time will give you interesting combinations with the other inhabitants of your wardrobe.

In case you’re wondering, here are some outfits that do include purple tights:






Images shown above courtesy: chictopia




Images shown above courtesy: weardrobe

Have you ever been faced with a similar w.o. situation? If yes, how did you handle it?

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. You know that has actually never happened to me! (sorry!) ... I always know what I am going to wear it with even before I reach the cashier! You have just given me an excellent idea for a post! :)

    ♡ from © tanvii.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tanvi

    Wow, only 2 days old, and already inspiring bloggers to post!! I am proud of myself ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good going fab!! I can actually picture ur description of various events and things..good writing and thanks for ur kind words on my blog ..lets keep inspiring each other:)
    Best wishes from Sydney,
    http://klassystylefiles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kalyani
    Thanks Kalyani! Your taking time out to comment here really means a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog:) I enjoyed reading your posts too..And even I get that feeling of OMG I know exactly how she feels or what she is talking about when I read blogs..As for the woes of wardrobe orphans..Been there done that..:p

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Natasha
    Thanks for following, Natasha!! And may the 'PINKness' be with us all!!!

    ReplyDelete